Flash reFURbish project while I awaited materials to arrive yesterday. There's a couple of flaws that I will go back and adjust at a later time but for now, I'm just happy to have him back.
The story behind needing the reFURb was he was in my Jeep coming back from college, moving home after the semester was over. I had placed his head up front with me so I wouldn't forget him. I got home, went in and got lunch. Ended up going out, feeding the horses, and when we got back it was dark. Foolishly I forgot he was in there until the morning when I went rushing out there to check on him. By then the interior temp of the cab was easily 100 degrees and all of the glue had let go, foam warping. He was in a very sad state. I tried to save him but was unable to.
2 years later I pull him out of his resting place and dove in, determined to restore him back to a functioning state. I pulled his fur off and removed the totally nasty thing I called a blaclava hood (was NOT) and removed the remains of the lower jaw. All the while I'm doing this I'm goffing at my old methods, the teeth, the 'lining' in the mouth (a.k.a.latex) and the immense over use of elastic.
I trimmed down his foam base, adding new foam to the cheeks and removing the beyond tiny nose. Lined the mouth, gave him a tongue, new balaclava hood, new elastic. The ear liners are original. New eyes as the old ones weren't very full of life for what I was wanting, not for the crowd I was aiming for anyways.
I wiggled the face fur back on and glued it down properly, sewing any tears or other errors, and began trimming. I was shocked. There was a mask under there! Gave a flip of the airbrush to clean up some edges and I called it good for a bit.
He's definitely a bit more of a 'puppy' like than his former mature self, but he will be better around children :3
A video of him in action can be seen here![link]